Brazo de Mercedes Recipe
This cake is one of the all-time favorite cakes in the Philippines. It is made up of a soft-rolled meringue with a custard filling. Looking at it the first time, you might think it’s hard to make, but actually it’s easy. Check out the recipe to find out!
Brazo de Mercedes
This cake is one of the all-time favorite cakes in the Philippines. It is made up of a soft-rolled meringue with a custard filling. Looking at it the first time, you might think it's hard to make, but actually it's easy. Check out the recipe to find out!
- Hand-held/Stand Mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- Rectangular baking pan : I'm using 15in x 10in
- Sauce pan
- 8 Eggs whites
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp tartar sauce
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 8 Egg yolks
- 395 g Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- pinch Lemon rind
For the Meringue
- Prepare the baking pan by putting a baking paper on top of it. Lightly grease it.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 170°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 8 egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Continue mixing until the meringue is in stiff peak form.
- Place the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking pan. Optional : Using a serrated cake knife, I run it over the top of the mixture to have those "lines".
- Bake the meringue for 14 to 18 minutes or top turns golden brown. Note : Do not open the oven for the first 10 minutes of baking.
For the custard filling
- While baking, cook the custard filling by first combining the 395g condensed milk and the 8 egg yolks in a sauce pan.
- Cook the mixture over low to medium heat.
- Stir it continuously until the mixture becomes thick.
- Put the vanilla and lemon rind to egg yolk mixture.
- Mix it well then turn off the heat.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and let it cool it down for a few minutes.
- Let the egg yolk mixture cool down too.
Assembling the cake
- After the cool down instructions, sprinkle the icing sugar on top of the meringue. Put baking paper on top of the meringue.
- Put another baking pan/sheet(of the same size) on top of the meringue.
- Gently flip the trays. The other tray should now be under the tray with the meringue. Remove the tray on top and carefully peel off the first baking paper.
- Using the rubber spatula, spread the custard filling on top of the meringue.
- Gently roll the meringue from the longest side.
- Best to let it chill first before serving. Enjoy and share us the photo!
Watch how I make my brazo de mercedes 🙂
Calories : 276g
Source : Brazo de Mercedes calories in fatsecret
Try other recipes!
You must be logged in to post a comment.