Brazo de Mercedes Recipe
This cake is one of the all-time favorite cakes in the Philippines. It is made up of a soft-rolled meringue with a custard filling. Looking at it the first time, you might think it’s hard to make, but actually it’s easy. Check out the recipe to find out!
Brazo de Mercedes
- Hand-held/Stand Mixer
- Rubber Spatula
- Rectangular baking pan : I'm using 15in x 10in
- Sauce pan
- 8 Eggs whites
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp tartar sauce
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 8 Egg yolks
- 395 g Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- pinch Lemon rind
For the Meringue
- Prepare the baking pan by putting a baking paper on top of it. Lightly grease it.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 170°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 8 egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Continue mixing until the meringue is in stiff peak form.
- Place the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking pan. Optional : Using a serrated cake knife, I run it over the top of the mixture to have those "lines".
- Bake the meringue for 14 to 18 minutes or top turns golden brown. Note : Do not open the oven for the first 10 minutes of baking.
For the custard filling
- While baking, cook the custard filling by first combining the 395g condensed milk and the 8 egg yolks in a sauce pan.
- Cook the mixture over low to medium heat.
- Stir it continuously until the mixture becomes thick.
- Put the vanilla and lemon rind to egg yolk mixture.
- Mix it well then turn off the heat.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and let it cool it down for a few minutes.
- Let the egg yolk mixture cool down too.
Assembling the cake
- After the cool down instructions, sprinkle the icing sugar on top of the meringue. Put baking paper on top of the meringue.
- Put another baking pan/sheet(of the same size) on top of the meringue.
- Gently flip the trays. The other tray should now be under the tray with the meringue. Remove the tray on top and carefully peel off the first baking paper.
- Using the rubber spatula, spread the custard filling on top of the meringue.
- Gently roll the meringue from the longest side.
- Best to let it chill first before serving. Enjoy and share us the photo!
Watch how I make my brazo de mercedes 🙂
Calories : 276g
Source : Brazo de Mercedes calories in fatsecret
Try other recipes!