The Best Whole Eggs Leche Flan Recipe
Leche flan, also known as caramel custard or caramel flan, is a popular dessert that originated in Spain and is commonly enjoyed in many countries, including the Philippines and Latin American countries. It is a sweet and creamy dessert made with a few simple ingredients: eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
To prepare leche flan, a caramel sauce is first made by melting sugar until it turns golden and slightly bitter. This caramel is then poured into the bottom of a mold or ramekin. The custard mixture, made by mixing eggs and the milk products together, is poured over the caramel. The dessert is then typically baked in a water bath or steamed until it sets.
After it’s cooked and cooled, the leche flan is inverted onto a plate, revealing a smooth, silky custard with a layer of caramel on top. It’s a delightful combination of flavors, with the sweetness of the custard balancing the slightly bitter caramel. Leche flan is often served as a dessert for special occasions or enjoyed as a sweet treat.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Best Whole Eggs Leche Flan recipe
- 6 eggs
- 395 g condensed milk
- 375 ml evaporated milk
- 85 g sugar
- 1 tbsp water this is for the caramel
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat up a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add sugar and water.
- Don't stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the syrup is golden brown, remove from heat.
- Immediately pour the caramel onto the ramekins. Remeber to be quick so caramel won't harden.
- Whisk the eggs gently so it won't create bubbles.
- Add the milks - condensed and evaporated milk.
- Mix them altogether.
- Add the vanilla and mix it.
- When everything is well combined, sieve the custard mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps or air bubbles.
- Gently pour the custard mixture over the caramel in the mold or ramekins.
- Place the mold or ramekins in a baking dish then fill it with hot water. This is called water bath.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes at 170C / 350F or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Do not overcook.
- Let it cool and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- When it's ready to serve, run a knife around the edges around the custard to loosen it.
- Place a serving plate on top of the ramekin, and quickly flip it over to release the custard with the caramel on top.
- Enjoy the yummy homemade leche flan!
Check out the step-by-step recipe video!
More recipes here.