NZ Lockdown: Day 4
Day 4 of the 4 weeks lockdown. How are you doing so far? Have you thought of something to do for the duration of the month long lockdown? One tip I can give you is to do something that will make you look forward to seeing the progress of it everyday. Like the one I mentioned previously in Day 1 . Today as I’m running out of ideas of something to cook, I thought of making siopao. I don’t have pork but I do have chicken, so I’m making siopao chicken asado. I will write down the recipe later for anyone interested.
Here’s my siopao chicken asado.
Siopao Chicken Asado
Chicken asado filling Ingredients
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion medium size
- 500 g chicken breast cut in 1cm cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 3 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 200 ml water
- 150 ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300 g cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp yeast for bread maker
Chicken Asado Filling
- Saute garlic and onion.
- When the onion is soft, put the chicken. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, stir then add the hoisin sauce.
- Add the pepper and brown sugar.
- Add bay leaf and star anise.
- Put the water then stir.
- Simmer until the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the bay leaf and star anise.
- Put the ingredients to the bread maker according to the list.
- I usually use the bread maker settings "Dough" and wait for it to finish. Usually it's 1.5hours total.
- When the dough is done, cut it into 16 pieces.
- Using dough roller, flatten each piece and roll it into a circle.
- Take a piece of dough on your left hand, put a generous amount of asado filling on the center of the dough.
- Use your right index finger to push a pleat into your right hand. Repeat this step until everything is pleated.
- Close it by twisting the ends.
- Put a baking paper at the bottom of the bun.
- Steam the buns for 10 minutes. Enjoy!